How to apply for old age Sassa grant?
For many people getting old age, Sassa grant is just a dream. They know that there is such a grant, but they don’t know if they qualify or how they can apply for the grant. This is sad to know that there are so many old people out there that are struggling financially, that actually could benefit from the grant.
This is why we are taking it step-by-step. Make sure that everyone in need of this grant is getting the correct. Information. From when you can apply to the applying process. Now, everyone will know exactly how to apply for the old age grant, to get some extra financial assistance each month.
Get to know old age Sassa grant
Old age Sassa grant is a government pension that people can get from the age of 60 years. This is if you qualify for the grant. You should not get any other pension payments in order to qualify for the grant.
People living in government-funded old age homes can’t get this grant. This is because the government is already taking care of you, and you have everything you need. There are a couple of things you need to know before you can go to the nearest Sassa office to apply for your old age Sassa grant payments.
When can you apply for the old age grant?
When can you apply for the old age grant? There are a couple of requirements that you need to know and that you need to meet before you can apply for the grant. If you don’t meet any of these requirements, you will not qualify for the grant.
- You need to be 60 years or older
- Be a South African citizen with a valid ID document
- You need to live in South Africa
- Not getting any other social grant
- If you are single, you should not earn an income more than R86 280 and if you are married, you should not have a total income of R172 560.
- You also should not have any assets that are worth more than R1 227 600 if you are single or R2 455 200 if you are married.
The amount that you will get each month, and where you can collect the payments
Another important aspect about the old age Sassa grant that you need to know is the amount that you will receive from Sassa when your application was successful. This is the payment amount at the moment for people older than 60 years. This payment amount might change at the end of February 2022 or March 2022, with an annual increase. However, at the moment this is what you can expect from your Sassa grant.
- For people between 60 and 74 years, you are getting R1 890 per month.
- When you are older than 75 years, will get a monthly payment of R1 910.
There are three different ways on how you can collect your old age payment. You can collect it at your nearest Post Office or Sassa-approved pay point. Or, you can get it paid into your bank account or a Post Office account. Or, you can appoint a procurator or give someone power of attorney to collect the grant on your behalf. This is normally the case when an older person is weak and ill.
What do you need to apply for the old age Sassa grant?
There are a couple of documents you need to have at hand when you want to apply for the old age Sassa grant. Without these documents, your application can’t be considered and will be declined immediately. These are all the documents you need to have before you visit the Sassa office.
- The application formed filled incorrectly
- Your identification documents and the ID of your spouse
- A completed affidavit if you don’t have an ID document
- Proof of relationship with a spouse
- Proof in writing for the income and assets of the couple
- Document of dependent children’s income proof
- In some cases, you might also need to have proof of address
Steps to apply for the grant
The steps in how to apply for the grant are actually easy. If you know what documents you need to have at hand, and if you know where your nearest Sassa office is, then you are already halfway through the process.
- You should get an application form from your nearest Sassa office and fill it in.
- Return with the application form and the required documents we mentioned.
- Now, you just need to give it to the Sassa officer and wait until you hear if your application was approved or declined.
- If the application was declined, they will give you a reason for the decline and steps on how you can dispute the results.
- If the application is approved, you will get the next date when you can receive your first Sassa payment.
There is no reason why an older person needs to suffer without any income. Or, not having enough income to survive each month. With all this information that we gave you, you will be able to apply for the old age Sassa grant in no time. And, with the extra money you receive, you will be able to buy food and other medical needs you might have.
Magda Dupont is an experienced writer at kredilife.com, where she’s credited with more than 100 articles covering everything from entrepreneurial stories to how to apply for government grants.
She also oversees the Comment&Questions, which poses important admission questions to experts in the field, and regularly hosts webinars on various aspects of the technical school experience.
Prior to joining kredilife.com, Magda honed her skills as a freelance writer, tackling a wide array of topics from camping to personal loans.
Haley holds a Master’s degree in English Literature from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.