You aren’t the only one that this happened. Applying for the SRD grant, just to get declined. The good news is that you can ask Sassa for reconsideration. Make sure that they are going through your application again, to see if they didn’t make a mistake with your application.
If you know you qualify for the grant, and you were declined, you can do something about it. You don’t need to just accept the fact that you can’t get some assistance each month. This is something that many people don’t know. We are going to assist you to make sure that you are doing the reconsideration correctly.
Where to check if your application was successful or not
Before you can apply for a reconsideration, you need to know if your application was successful or not. Maybe the application is still pending, and you are already waiting for the SMS to collect your money. It is important to make sure that you are checking the status of your application first.
The only place where you can check for your status is the official Sassa website. You needed to register to the site before you can apply. So, now you just need to sign in to your account and see what the status is saying. Is your status pending, approved, or declined?
Why would your SRD grant be declined?
There are many reasons why your SRD grant could be declined. And, before you can apply for reconsideration, you need to know why your grant was declined in the first place. These are the reasons why your application might be declined:
- They found that you have an alternative income that you didn’t tell them about. To qualify, there should not be any source of income.
- They couldn’t verify your identity. Your identity doesn’t match the information the Department of Home affairs has about you. This can be because you married and changed your surname, or your name and surname don’t match what is at the Department of Home affairs.
- You already might get any other form of Sassa. To qualify, you should not receive any other Sassa grant payments. Not for child support or disability.
- You might be registered to NSFAS. If you get any benefits from the state you don’t qualify for SRD grant.
- If you are registered for UIF, you will also not be able to claim the SRD grant.
Can you ask for reconsideration?
If you know for sure that you qualify for the SRD grant, and they declined you, you can ask for a reconsideration. Or apply for reconsideration. However, this is taking time to get processed and you need to make sure that they don’t have a valid reason for declining you.
Just because you are asking for another chance with your application, it doesn’t mean that they will automatically approve the application. They will have another look, and if you still don’t qualify, there is nothing you can do about it. You can apply for reconsideration on the SRD website.
Steps to submit a reconsideration for SRD grant
In order to get Sassa to look at your application again, there are a couple of steps you need to do first. These are the steps for reconsideration of the SRD grant.
- Open the SRD website and go to the cancel my application tab.
- You should click on reinstate my canceled grant application
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to get your application to be looked at again.
- The reason for the instate of the grant needs to be valid. You can’t just choose any of the reasons and hope that they will approve it for you.
Other essential information you need to know about reconsideration from Sassa
It is important to make sure that you know that you will need to apply for reconsideration for each month that you didn’t get the grant. Otherwise, they will only process the current month, and you will only get the money once. This is something that not many people know and causes them to get only one month of payment instead of all the months that you were waiting for approval.
The good news is that you can apply for reconsideration if your SRD application was declined. But, you need to make sure that your application is now correct and that you really qualify for the grant. We are covering everything there is to know about getting declined and how you can apply for the grant again. If you qualify for the grant, and they declined you, you can ask them to consider it again.