You might be considering applying for the Sassa disability grant. This is mostly because you might have a temporary or permanent disability that is preventing you from caring for yourself, financially.
You can’t apply for the disability grant, because you don’t really know if you can apply for the grant or not. It is important to make sure that you get all the information about the grant before you can apply. This is to make sure that you don’t waste your time and the time of the Sassa officers. This is everything you need to know about the disability grant.
What is a disability grant?
Sassa disability grant is for people that have a physical or mental disability. This can be a temporary condition, or you can get it permanent if you have a permanent disability. A temporary disability is when you are unable to work because of the disability for more than 6 months. But, for not more than 12 months.
However, you can get this grant permanently if you can prove that you have a permanent physical and mental disability. This is a grant for those that want to work, but because of a disability, they can’t work, or don’t get enough salary to take care of themselves.
This is what you need to qualify for the grant
Before you can apply for the grant, you need to know if you qualify. There is a long list of things that you need to qualify for before you can apply. These are the requirements for getting the Sassa disability grant.
- You must be a South African resident, living in South Africa when you apply for the grant.
- You need to have a valid barcoded ID.
- You need to be between the age of 18 and 59 years old.
- You should not be taken care of in a state institution.
- Shouldn’t earn a salary more than R86,280 if you are single, or R172 560 if you are married
- Shouldn’t have assets worth more than R1 227 600 if you are single and R2 455 200 if you are married
- Need to undergo a medical examination where a state doctor will assess the degree of your disability.
- You should bring along all your medical records when you are making the appointment for the disability grant.
When a person with a disability is younger than 18 years
When a person with a physical or mental disability is younger than 18 years, then you need to apply for a care dependency grant.
- This is for children younger than 18 years that have the same type of physical or mental disability where they need someone to assist them with their disability.
- The requirements for getting the care dependency grant are the same as for an adult. The only difference is the age of the recipient.
The amount that you will get, and where you should collect the payment
The maximum amount that you will get from the Sassa disability grant is R1 890. For children, the grant will go to the caregiver that is taking care of the child.
There are different methods on how you can get paid when you are collecting the payment.
- Receiving cash at a Post Office or the nearest Sassa pay point on a specific allocated day.
- You can receive it into your bank account, which includes Postbank. Just remember that here you are going to pay banking fees.
- Or, through an institution not funded by the state, like a home for people with disabilities.
When will the Sassa disability grant be suspended or canceled?
Is it possible that the Sassa disability grant can be suspended or canceled? There are many reasons why Sassa can suspend or cancel your disability.
- When your circumstances changed or the disability isn’t a long-term disability.
- If the doctor’s report states that you don’t have a disability.
- When you fail to co-operate when it’s time to review your grant
- The moment that you commit fraud or when you misrepresent yourself.
- Or, when there was a mistake made when your grant was approved.
- When you pass away, the grant stops automatically.
You can apply for a Sassa disability grant if you have any type of physical or mental disability. And, if you can prove it through medical records. There are also some other important aspects that you need to know about the disability grant before you can apply for one. We are giving you all the information needed to apply for your grant and to be successful with the application.