I’ve lost my Sassa card!
The first thing that you need to do when you lost your Sassa card is to cancel your card. You do this by phoning the Sassa helpline immediately. The sooner you block your card, the less money you will lose with someone else using your card.
There are a couple of things that you need to know when you are losing your card. The amount that you are going to pay when this is the first time you lost your card, and other info. These are everything you need to know about losing your Sassa card.
First time replacements of your Sassa card
There is some information you need to know when this is the first time that you lost your Sassa card. Things that you need to do to ensure that you don’t get into trouble when the card is lost without you reporting it. These are essential information to know when you lost your Sassa card.
- You need to call the Sassa helpline to cancel the card immediately. You will need to give them a clear explanation of why you lost your card. They will stop the card and issue a new one to you.
- If this is the first time you lost your card, you will not pay anything for a replacement card.
- If the card has been stolen, you will need to have a police report that you report to them. They will give you a case number that you need to give to the Sassa office.
- The number you will dial is free from a landline, so you will need to get to a landline as soon as possible.
When you have lost your card before
When you have lost your card before, you still need to do a couple of things to report it correctly.
- You still need to report it to the Sassa office as soon as possible. The sooner you stop the card, the less money you will lose that might still be on the card.
- You will need to pay for a replacement card. If your card was replaced before, for any reason, you will need to pay R20 for a replacement. It doesn’t matter how long it was since you lost your first card. A replacement is just free for the first replacement.
- If the Sassa card was stolen from you, you will need to report it to the police. You will need to have a case number to let Sassa know that your card has been stolen.
- You will need to update your payment method to ensure that you will get your money the next month.
The first thing you need to do after you lost your card
The first thing that you need to do after you lost your Sassa card. It doesn’t matter if you just misplace the card or if your card has been stolen. You will need to report it to Sassa immediately. You can visit the police station afterward. It is essential that the card is stopped from being used. There are a couple of ways on how you can get in contact with Sassa.
- You can call the Sassa helpline at 0800 600 160. If you are close to a landline, the number will be free of charge. However, you will pay if you call the number from your cell phone.
- If you don’t have a landline or can’t get to one, you should get to your nearest Sassa office immediately. They will assist you in stopping the card and issuing a new one for you.
You received a message to upload banking details without requesting the change
Maybe your card wasn’t stolen, but you got a message to upload your banking details to the Sassa office again. You didn’t request any changes or updates to your payment method. What should you do?
- Don’t give any bank or personal details to anyone. Even if you received a notification through an email or sms.
- Phone the Sassa office to enquire about the mail you got about a bank update. If they didn’t request it report the number to them.
- If they still request the update, then you should visit your nearest Sassa branch. It’s safer to give your personal and banking details directly to them.
You should always be aware that it’s a risk to give personal information through your phone or by email. Especially if you aren’t sure that it really came from the Sassa office.
Other essential information about your Sassa card payments
Many people are still unsure about what payment methods you have available when you apply for your Sassa card. There are three different options you have to get your Sassa grant payments.
- Go to the Post office for getting your payment at the pay point.
- Get your money deposited into your bank account. Bank fees do apply here.
- Go to any pay point that is registered to give out Sassa payments like Pick n Pay and Boxer.
When you don’t have a bank account?
You want to get your Sassa grant paid into your bank account. But, you don’t have a bank account in your name, is there something you can do?
- You can get another person’s bank account approved, with the permission of the person and Sassa. You will need to give proof of why you want to use someone else’s bank account. And, you will need to prove that the person gave permission and that you are really the person you claim to be.
- The best and easiest thing you can do is to open your own bank account. You don’t need to have an income to get a bank account. You are just going to pay banking fees when you withdraw your money.
When you lost your Sassa card, you need to report it to the Sassa office immediately. They need to cancel the card and issue a new one to you. The number you should call is 0800 600 160. If you are phoning from a landline, it will not cost you anything. For a first time replacement, you will not pay anything. However, if you already replaced your card, you will pay R20 for your new card.
Magda Dupont is an experienced writer at kredilife.com, where she’s credited with more than 100 articles covering everything from entrepreneurial stories to how to apply for government grants.
She also oversees the Comment&Questions, which poses important admission questions to experts in the field, and regularly hosts webinars on various aspects of the technical school experience.
Prior to joining kredilife.com, Magda honed her skills as a freelance writer, tackling a wide array of topics from camping to personal loans.
Haley holds a Master’s degree in English Literature from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.